Among the most critical decisions in the wedding-planning process is choosing your wedding photographer. After the reception costs, photography tends to be the next biggest category for wedding budgets. Central Iowa is full of talented photographers, all varying in portfolios, packages and rates offered. With so many great options, choosing a photographer may seem overwhelming at first.
With so many great options, choosing a photographer may seem overwhelming at first. The right photographer not only leaves you and your new hubby with timeless keepsakes, but adds to the overall happiness of the day.
We’re here to help you simplify the process and find the best photographer to match your style. Read on for our best advice in choosing a wedding photographer.
Start Looking for Your Wedding Photographer Right Away
Wedding photographers book up fast. Even if you’re planning for a long engagement, you should start looking to hire a wedding photographer as early as possible. Here are a few tips for getting started in the hunt:
- Ask around: Reach out to your network of family, friends and co-workers and ask if they know of a great photographer. Especially if you’re new to the area or if you’ve never had to hire a photographer before, getting referrals from the people you know and trust is a great way to find your potential photographer. Knowing that someone you know has worked with them and was pleased with their work should give you more confidence if you choose to hire them.
- Ask your venue coordinator: It’s incredibly helpful to work with a photographer who has already done weddings at your venue. They know the best spots to go, how the sun hits certain areas, and are familiar with the coordinator – all of which make the day easier for you and increase your likeability of getting great photos to capture your day.
- Set up multiple interviews: You may really like a photographer’s portfolio online, but if you don’t mesh well when you meet in person it could mean bad news for your wedding day. Meet with at least 2 or 3 photographers to make sure you find a talented professional who not only gets a feel for what you want, but who gives you a positive vibe. That person is going to be with you the entire day of your wedding – you want to make sure they’re the right fit for you and your groom.
What to Look for in a Portfolio
Photos are the way you’ll look back on your wedding day for years to come. The best photos will tell the story of your wedding day to your kids one day. When looking at portfolios, look for certain factors to help determine your choice of a wedding photographer.
- Lighting: The way a photographer uses lighting sets the mood, tone and emotion of a photo. Look at photos either from your venue or that have similar characteristics to your venue to see how the photographer works and plays with the lighting.
- Originality: Every photographer has their own style and artistry. Look for what makes their photos uniquely their own. What makes them stand out from other photos you see on Pinterest or the Internet? Your wedding photos are basically the story of your wedding through the photographer’s eyes – make sure to find a photographer’s style that you mesh with.
- Storytelling: Reiterating the important matter, your wedding photos will tell the story of your wedding. Look for how the photographer tells a story with their photos. What do you feel when you look at their photos of other weddings? Humor? Romance? Fun? How does the photographer make the cliche moments more interesting? Do the pictures make you feel like you’re in the moment with the bride and groom?
Don’t let the hiring process intimidate you. Remember to ask around, meet with multiple photographers, and check for the unique storytelling features in their portfolios. Once you find that photographer you click with, you’ll just know.
Start browsing portfolios from Central Iowa’s talented professionals!